The Scholars’ Lab R&D group can regularly be found on its IRC channel hosted by Freenode (freenode.net). This is a great way to ask a quick question or be part of other conversations. There are a lot of clients out there to choose from, and for brevity’s sake, we’ll limiting this to a Windows, a Mac, and a web client.
You can access Freenode’s Webclient and get instant access without installing any software. Simply choose a nickname for yourself, and connect to the ‘#slab’ channel.
- Download and install Pidgin.
- Add a new Account
- Select IRC from the protocol list
- Set your username to your irc nickname
- Click Save
- Click on Join Chat
- Set the channel to #slab
- Download and install Adium.
- Select File -> Add Account -> IRC
- Set your Nickname
- Set the Hostname: irc.freenode.net
- You do not need to set a password
- Click on the Options tab
- Under Execute commands on connect: place the following:
- /join #slab * Click OK
- Download and install TurboIRC.
- Tap on Connect
- Tap on Freenode
- After you are in the client, click “Join”
- Join the “#slab” room