Praxis Schedule 2018-2019
Praxis meets officially for two hours once a week during the academic year. The following schedule represents a projection of what the content of those weekly meetings will be. Each session is projected to be roughly 60 minutes long, which will allow plenty of time for flexibility and conversation with the group before and after.
This year we broke out the technical components into a third hour at the suggestion of Zoe. This coding track ran concurrently throughout the year, and the extra contact hour gave us a chance to go further with the students.
Fall - 14 weeks
August 28 - December 7
Three assignments - charter, workshop, grant proposal Goal is to have them develop a portfolio of things at the end of the year both individually and as a group.
- 1 - Digital Pedagogy and Praxis, Brandon
- 2 - Intro to Charters, Ronda; Framing of charter assignment; Discussion of collaboration and community building with Amanda and Brandon
- 3 - Lightning Round of DH Methods and Disciplines - Texts, Maps, Networks, Archives, Cultural Heritage, Libraries, Activism
- 4 - GA Tech skype. Workshop on workshops; Framing of Workshop assignment; (Charter due; discuss charters)
- 5 - Programming Historian activity; discuss readings on digital pedagogy
- 6 - Programming Historian part two; readings discussion
- 7 - Skype with Mackenzie Brooks at W&L on pedagogy in liberal arts context;
- 8 - “Workshops” due; discuss them.
- 9 - Grant writing; Grants and Budgets, Amanda and Laura; framing of grant project
- 10 - Doing a DH lit review; Evaluating Digital Work / What We Talk about When We Talk about Digital Humanities, All Staff
- 11 - Dissertations to Project Ideas and Vice Versa, Amanda
- 12 - Skype with Georgia Tech about project proposals
- 13 - Design jam with staff on project ideas.
- 14 - Grant proposals due. Discuss Them. Framing of next semester.
Tech Stack for Coding Track
- Command Line
- Intro to Jekyll / Static Sites
- Document Representation on the Web (HTML/CSS/MarkDown)
- Programming Concepts
- How Computers Work
- Whatever else Shane and Zoe want
Spring - 14 weeks
January 14 - April 30
- 1 - Literature/Project Survey, Praxis Fellows
- 2 - Project Management, Ronda
- 3 - Work Time
- 4 - Copyright and IP, Brandon Butler
- 5 - Work Time
- 6 - Work Time
- 7 - Work Time
- 8 - Work Time
- 9 - Work Time
- 10 - Soft launch of web presence for project
- 11 - Work Time
- 12 - Skype with Georgia Tech about cohort project
- 13 - Work Time
- 14 - Public presentation