Objectivity is a patriarchal falsehood.
What to do next term?
What are advantages of one larger project than smaller? RDT: getting in deeper
- More collaborative; stronger project mgmt aspect—tho ends up being each person has a particular role
- Have to be careful with scoping on larger project—could be 2-3 different ways of visualizing w/varied contexts
- Smaller projects—multiple ways of visualizing time, could explore them
- Smaller projects—have to do a little bit of everything
Are there advantages to show the work that we’ve done to communities including Uva, DH, etc.? What reads as us having done something that we can show?
Need to discuss budget, dissemination, and sustainability
First meeting back—scope out project, make general estimates about timing for each piece Think over break what will benefit you long term, and what you want out of praxis
Rachel makes strong case for sound/sonification in addition to visualization
Is there a unifying thing to tie together multiple projects—or a thematic framing? Or would we do things individually? * If we did something w/overarching narrative to have that inform dvlpmt of the tool and spend a little time abstracting the tool out of the context so that other people could use * Or a potential note on here’s how we did this—framework and dialogue about work we did..
JPA: need to listen to each other—proposes speculative white papering
Purdom: speculative white papering as blog post
- Need to be more committed to scholarship in public
- Work in progress publicly—speculative pieces, concise, make transparent moment in which we’re working
Jeremy: Call for response/Request for comments—blog posts = RFCs in some ways
- How do we be better about commenting on each other’s blogs—is there something we could do to get more comments from people w/in and outside slab—maybe change the interface?
Stuff to do over break:
- personal website for ourselves
- work on D3
- Keep sketching
- speculative briefs blog post—your fantasy for a project; what it would be if you were doing it alone (not required—maybe more for after break as we get going)
Marking up CV = good way to learn html
James is giving everyone money??
Can make your site private—don’t need to publish
Talking about social presence first meeting maybe?